"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Monday, June 22, 2009

Perpetuum Jazzile Performs "Africa"

Yes, yes, I've made my anathema to a cappela music quite apparent in the past (although I still maintain that McFerrin totally had that beat down coming to him) but I have to say that I really liked this performance. From TYWKIWDBI:

The featured song is "Africa," a chart-topper from the early 1980s by Toto. The performers are Perpetuum Jazzile, an a capella jazz choir from Slovenia. What impressed me about the video was not the song itself, but rather the 2-minute introduction during which the choir produces the sounds of a gentle rain in Africa escalating into a thunderstorm.

I suggest starting the video, then looking elsewhere (down this page, or open another tab for browsing) so you can hear the sound effects (note - no instrumental or percussion help). You'll probably then go back to see how it was done.
I really love how they did the opening but I'll also admit that I dug the Toto song (although if you had held a gun to my head and demanded that I tell you who had originally sung this song my brains would have been cherry pie on the wall quite quickly). Check it out:


[Update: OK, I officially hate this song now. It's been playing repeatedly in my head ever since I watched this video yesterday. I'm seriously considering taking a power drill to my right temple to make it stop. Do-do, do-do, do-do-do-da-a-ah...Aargh!]

3 comments:

JBW said...

Martin was right on that count Philippe but I'm afraid that most of America is still too uptight and repressed to agree with him. Glad you dug the song.

sue said...

I liked that.

JBW said...

Just be careful, sue. Like I said, I can't get it out of my head now. Thanks for checking out the site.