"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Something Someone Else Said

"I thought it was reprehensible, irresponsible and unpersuasive. If we’re going to regain the credibility of the American people, we’re going to have to stop with silly antics like that. It may get a snide chuckle inside the Beltway, but it offends most people. We have to get away from the politics of personal destruction," -freshman congressman Jason Chaffetz, of Utah, on the RNC's "Pussy Galore" video about Nancy Pelosi.

Full disclosure: I'm no big fan of Nancy Pelosi, nor of her Democratic counterpart in the Senate Harry Reid. To me they both pretty much personify what's been wrong in Washington for so long and in the Democratic Party in particular. Of course I wasn't particularly offended by the Republican ad in question because it wasn't particularly offensive, rather merely petty and juvenile. And per the Republican congressman's remarks above, I'm OK with that because it only makes their party come off as equally petty and juvenile to the average American.

Not that I'm condoning petty and juvenile acts within our political system but watching the Republicans flail around in the wilderness they've exiled themselves to is just too entertaining, and quite frankly I truly believe that they deserve to be where they are right now. So keep making your Pussy Galore commercials and singing "Barack the Magic Negro", Republicans. And move further and further to the right on as many issues as you can. On January 20th, 2013 you can tell me and the other godless liberals how that all worked out for you.

(via)

3 comments:

Tim said...

Imagine if the left had done the same for Palin. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth would have followed.

The right can stay in the wilderness until they start eating each other for all I care. It would be a fate they deserve.

Van Zan said...

I'm 'reaching' here, but I'll make a little observation....

Those who have read Ian Fleming - and some GOP hacks can indeed read - would know that, in the original novel of Goldfinger, Pussy Galore was a lesbian. Yes I'm sure the similarity of sound in "Pelosi" to "Pussy" was actually the idea, but it's an interesting subtext if one wanted to perceive it, given what else is going on in America right now.

JBW said...

I doubt the makers of that video had any intention of making a comment about the character other than the name VZ, but it's an interesting observation.

Of course I assume that they would enjoy knowing this information because implying that Pelosi is gay would be yet another feather in their rhetorical cap.