"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Detainees Are Coming: Run Away!

Here's the latest fear-mongering attempt by the Republican right:

I don't like to quote myself but I don't think what I've said on this subject can be rephrased any more succinctly:

I'm tired of hearing all of these Republican congressmen and governors crying about how dangerous it's going to be having the 245 Guantanamo detainees imprisoned here in the United States after that prison is closed in Cuba. These guys aren't Houdini-esque escape artists or even highly trained super soldiers, they're a bunch of thugs and religious nuts (except for the ones who haven't done anything but were caught up in our security net anyway); a well trained American marine could beat the shit out of a couple of these guys at once. We incarcerate vicious gang members and psychopathic serial killers in prisons all across the country, I think we can handle a few hundred terror suspects. Am I wrong?
I have yet to find anyone who can sufficiently answer this question in the negative.

[Update: Regular commenter Deranged Leftwing Baker calls attention to this rebuttal to right-wing fear-mongering:
]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JBW, you're missing Hilzoy's rejoinder to that pathetic smear.