"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Monday, November 3, 2008

My '08 Election Predictions

In the first few weeks of this blog way back in February I attempted to predict the Academy Awards with partial success (I went 5 for 8 in the major categories) but I only did so publicly because I had swept every category and won some dough in a pool at work the year before; of course I had not seen a single movie I was choosing from at the time so I'm hoping that my political prognostications are a little more finely tuned.

It should come as no surprise to anyone who has visited this site lately that I think Barack Obama will be the next president of the United States but here are the numbers I'm officially putting down: I predict Obama/Biden will win the popular vote by 4-5 1/2% with 20-25 electoral votes if John McCain and Sarah Palin do well or with 100 or more electoral votes if they do poorly; I'm not going to try to predict the numbers for a McCain/Palin victory other than to say that I'd give that scenario 20-1 odds or worse of happening. I also predict that the Democrats will increase their majorities in both houses of congress but that neither will achieve a veto-proof filibuster-proof margin.

So for those who care, there they are; in about 24 hours we'll see how finely honed my political instincts are. I've stocked my house with provisions both alcoholic and non so that I can spend the entire day soaking up the last drops of electoral fever before this odyssey of an election season is over. I only plan on leaving the house once and that's to vote; yes, I'm an irresponsible bastard who didn't fill out my absentee ballot in time. However tomorrow turns out, I've had fun writing about this election and I hope you've had just as much fun reading about it, and I promise to come up with all kinds of new and interesting things to bitch and rant about if you keep reading in the future. Now go vote.

No comments: