"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Jon Stewart Crossfire Classic

Just some hearty political entertainment for the holidays: Jon Stewart went on the CNN political debate show Crossfire during the 2004 elections and pwned hosts Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala so badly in their own house that the show was cancelled three months later, with the president of the network stating that the interview with Stewart was a direct cause for the action. Stewart described the fracas the next day on The Daily Show thusly:

We decided to go to this place, Crossfire, which is a nuanced public policy analysis show... named after the stray bullets that hit innocent bystanders in a gang fight. So I go to Crossfire and, let's face it, I was dehydrated, it's the Martin Lawrence defense... and I had always in the past mentioned to friends and people that I meet on the street that I think that show... um... blows. So I thought it was only the right thing to do to go say it to them personally on their program, but here's the thing about confronting someone with that on their show: They're there! Uncomfortable! And they were very mad, because apparently, when you invite someone on a show called Crossfire and you express an opinion, they don't care for that... I told them that I felt their show was hurting America and they came back at me pretty good, they said that I wasn't being funny. And I said to them, "I know that, but tomorrow I will go back to being funny, and your show will still blow.
If you're a fan of Jon Stewart and are at all interested in politics I implore you to watch the entire clip; it's over fourteen minutes long but I swear, Stewart calling Tucker Carlson a "dick" to his face makes it well worth your time if nothing else. Enjoy:

1 comment:

Matt said...

Boy, I love every minute of that. I want to fist bump Jon Stewart.