"WHEN FASCISM COMES TO AMERICA IT WILL BE WRAPPED IN THE FLAG
AND CARRYING A CROSS." -SINCLAIR LEWIS

Monday, March 24, 2008

I Want This Shirt!

I don't normally like to admit defeat, especially when it involves not being able to find something online; I kind of think of that as being my particular milieu. But this thing has been messing with me for years, literally.

I love the shirt Dave Chappelle is wearing in this Showtime special; it commemorates the Ali/Foreman fight in Kinshasa, Zaire in 1974, the "Rumble in the Jungle". I've been trying to find this shirt FOR YEARS and I can't do it. There are a myriad of shirts commemorating the fight, particularly from Adidas, but this one has thus far eluded me.

If anybody reading this blog can locate one of these shirts for sale for me I will dedicate a day of blog posts exclusively singing your praises, every month, for a year. No shit. I make this pledge, and if no one is up to the challenge I will be forced to plead my case once a month on this blog until I can locate my Fruit-of-the-Loom grail. I'm opening my second bottle of wine, so I'll shut up about it now.

On a more personal note, I've had several black guys I've known say the exact same thing to me about white guys cataloguing their drinking statistics that Chappelle relates here. I didn't realize that it was an exclusively white thing to do for a long time but it turns out that it is. Now I can't help laughing my ass off every time I hear some cracker breaking his night down for me.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn i'm searching for that shirt right now from Chapelle's special and so far all I've found is your site... lol if i ever find it i'll let you know

JBW said...

While I've obviously not followed through on my threat to repost my original plea for information about this shirt on a monthly basis, I have to say that weezy f baby's search is just the latest of literally dozens of hits this blog has gotten from other fans looking for this particular garment. When and if I ever do find one of these, I'm going to run off thousands of the things and make a mint online. Ali, boom ba yay!

Anonymous said...

how can we find this shirt? i need it. i saw that special and all i wanted to do was find it.

Unknown said...

any luck? i want the shirt as well

Zeeshan Muhammad said...

It's June 2016 and I'm still trawling online to find that yellow Zaire T-shirt featuring Muhammad Ali that Dave Chappelle was wearing in his standup.

Has anyone been able to source it?

Zeeshan Muhammad said...

It's June 2016 and I'm still trawling online to find that yellow Zaire T-shirt featuring Muhammad Ali that Dave Chappelle was wearing in his standup.

Has anyone been able to source it?

Unknown said...

I want the shirt too

Marley Davidson said...

Yep, still looking in 2019.

Vikram said...

2020, still no luck!

Wizard Of Koz said...

Im looking too

109Law2 said...

This blog post is perfection. For What It's Worth is my absolute favorite Dave show. And that t-shirt is epic.

DeeG said...

2023 just just finished watching the special again. Searched for the tee shirt for about 1 hour to no avail. No way a simple garner has eluded us for what seems like an eternity.